Friday, October 12, 2007

proactive

proactive: acting in anticipation of future problems, needs, or changes

(Merriam-Webster.com)

There is a job opening at the supercomputing institute at the U. In the job requirement it says "it is expected that the person that fills this position will take a proactive approach in communicating the unique research potential of the computing facilities to the university community".

That's my problem. For example, when I play soccer, most often I pass the ball to another player's position. Wrong. It should go to where I want it to be, and it should be ahead of him. To be proactive, I need to have vision, plan and action. It's difficult, but I have to have them. Vision comes from experience and thoughts, plan comes from worry and action comes from determination. So, to be professional, what is needed to be successful in this job? This question I have to ask myself again and again before interview. Skills, knowledge of the market and patience. Yes, patience, I am not patient when comes to communication. Don't be frustrated when things don't work at first. It takes time to communicate.

Another view, proactive = professionally active. Yes I want to be proactive.

No comments: