Saturday, March 01, 2008

world of warcraft trading card game tournament

I am not a huge fun of trading card game. Trading card games are strategy "duel" card games when two players use their own monster cards, spell cards, trap cards, etc to fight against each other. If you spend more money, you can buy more cards and build more powerful deck and win. That's the part of the game I don't like, you have to invest more money to be able to win a card game, which totally misses the purpose of card games: for fun. The only trading card game I have played is two years ago on my computer, a Japanese trading card game called "Yu-ki-wo".

That been said, I am a huge fun of warcraft and its mother company Blizzard Entertainment Inc.. Speaking of loyalty, I started to play Blizzard's game since junior high in China. It was "Warcraft I" and "Warcraft II", and it was the time when Blizzard and warcraft wasn't huge, but I was like "this game was so different that it had real stories behind it" when even now most games are still mainly killing and fighting. Blizzard's games have a culture, which is the key for their company culture and binds the players and employees together. "They will be huge" I thought like a farseer back to the days. A little bit more history, in 1997 they published a game that changes their company's fate, "Starcraft" which wasn't surprised to me. I wasn't addicted thought, after entering college I have tons of schoolwork to do. I only played with friends in pubs once per week. What totally got me addicted are the "Diablo" franchise series they published. They are the first ever real-time role playing games, they are so new and huge. Then the warcraft III in 2001, then they realized they can do a lot more in warcaft. Then the World of warcraft, a game that change the game industry and create a genre called "massively multiple online" role playing game (MMORPG), that has 50 millions active subscribers and that Blizzard's mother company, Vivendi Inc. wrote in their business plan to ask Blizzard "to make games in type of World of Warcraft".

Well that's way off, I am getting there. Now warcraft has come to trading card game, and it has worldwide tornuments very often. $20 dollars for a starting deck and fun is not too bad. If there is one in MS and within 2 hours drive I will certainly attend.
here is the information:
http://entertainment.upperdeck.com/wow/en/default.aspx

No comments: